Can whiplash be prevented?

Whiplash is often caused by unexpected stretching of the neck muscles and ligaments. While it is simply not always possible to prevent every accident or event that would overstretch your neck, some precautions can help. Most cases of whiplash are caused from rear-end car accidents. A correctly placed headrest in your car can help lessen your neck pain after an accident. Also, if you do have whiplash, stretching your neck muscles after they heal can lessen the likelihood that the pain will return.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, an...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
Does poor posture increase the risk for neck injuries?
Poor posture may increase the risk of neck injury. Bad posture can cause some muscles to get sho...
What are the most severe types of neck injuries?
Injuries to the spinal cord or bones of the neck are the most severe. These injuries may cause s...