Are there alternative treatments for whiplash?

There are many home remedies for whiplash, as most minor cases of whiplash can be treated this way. Many people find over-the-counter pain relievers to be helpful. Ice and heat are often used to reduce inflammation and relax muscles, and exercises can strengthen the neck. Additionally, there are other alternative treatments, including acupuncture and massage. Chiropractors can manipulate the bones and muscles in your neck and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is used by some people to help whiplash pain by placing an electric current across the skin. You may want to consult your doctor before trying these treatments.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
What increases my risk for whiplash?
Certain activities and events are more likely to strain your neck muscles and ligaments, which can r...
What are common causes of whiplash?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common cause of whiplash is a car accident. In sports, whiplash can happen during blind-sid...
Should I remove a football player's equipment if he may have a neck injury?
Only the face mask should be removed when a football player is thought to have a neck injury. Ta...