What are the training requirements for naturopathic doctors?

Naturopathic doctors (NDs) don't use drugs or advocate major surgery; they opt for healing agents that come straight from the earth, or at it, such as water, air, and sunbeams.

Most states have no credentialing requirements in naturopathy; only 11 require licensing, and there are only four naturopathic colleges, all accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education. The ND curriculum is a 4-year postgraduate program, with the first 2 years covering natural sciences and the second 2 covering clinical sciences. There is a national exam testing on basic sciences, laboratory medicine, nutrition, minor surgery, and several other areas.

You can find your state's status at the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians Web site, http://www.naturopathic.org.

Full disclosure: Many conventional doctors aren't too keen on naturopaths calling themselves doctors because some feel that this could confuse patients and cause them to think that they've had the same training. Smart patients should know the difference between MDs and NDs, and DOs and DCs for that matter.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Naturopathy

Cure Your Cough with a Spoonful of Honey
If you told our Stone Age relatives to “mind your own beeswax,” they could have done just that, say researchers from the UK’s University of Bristol. T...
Is naturopathy a holistic treatment, and what does that mean?
Naturopathy is an alternative medicine that focuses on holistic and natural healing. Holistic medici...
When should I consult with a doctor of naturopathy?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
The most effective use of an N.D. is prior to becoming ill. While most of my patients see me after t...
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?