How do naturopathic physicians and conventional medical doctors differ?

Dr. Christopher Maloney, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
In simpler terms, a Naturopathic Doctor generally follows a different approach to illness.  Rather than considering the body as broken, an N.D. will attempt to work with the body as an ally when trying to correct a disease.

While the difference may seem minor, it has far reaching consequences. I have found many missed diagnoses because I am unwilling to simply assume the body is misbehaving randomly.

But I normally see patients after conventional doctors, so they have treated many cases successfully. It is when the standard diagnosis fails to respond that most of my patients arrive at my door.  

By taking more time (usually four times the amount of time for return visits) and focusing on the entire body rather that one body part or process, N.D.s provide a different perspective that often integrates many different illnesses into one cohesive picture.

Continue Learning about Naturopathy

Cure Your Cough with a Spoonful of Honey
If you told our Stone Age relatives to “mind your own beeswax,” they could have done just that, say researchers from the UK’s University of Bristol. T...
Is naturopathy a holistic treatment, and what does that mean?
Naturopathy is an alternative medicine that focuses on holistic and natural healing. Holistic medici...
Can a naturopath give prenatal care and deliver a baby?
Naturopaths can provide some form of prenatal care. A naturopath may be helpful for nutritional and ...
What Are the Healthy Benefits of Coconut Oil?