What are some tips to help me cleanse and detoxify my body?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Here are some healthy tips to cleanse and detoxify your body:

1. Organic: This tops the list because you can't be effective or efficient at removing toxins from the body when you are putting them right back in.
  2. Greens/Greens Powders: Greens top your list during a cleanse. Daily and several times daily, greens will help to remove toxins, provide energy, and alkalinize your lower digestive system.
  3. Lemons: These play a key role in cleansing and purifying the system.
  4. Hydration: True hydration is more than water. That said, you need adequate water: half your body weight in pounds gives you the minimum ounces of water. You need potassium too to get the water into the cells—so choose plain coconut water as an ideal source.
  5. Fiber: The right fibers like chia and flaxseeds, psyllium, rice and oat bran among others will help to pick up the toxins from your digestive tract and remove them from the body.
  6. Sweet sans sugar: Ideally you don't want to have any sweets during a cleanse. That said, we don't want to miss out on valuable antioxidants and fiber, so I recommend using organic fruits.
  7. Vegetarian proteins: Cleanses require protein. Proteins are used in our hormones, for our lean body mass, and to stabilize blood sugar—a cleanse that eliminates protein threatens an imbalance of these during the cleanse and potentially thereafter. I recommend organic vegan sources. Hemp and quinoa top my list.
  8. Spices: Spices are one of your best detoxifying and supporting components of a diet. Spices help fight off bad bacteria and their other benefits range from stimulating metabolism, helping you sweat out toxins and calming the digestive tract.
  9. Regularity Aids: It's imperative that you "go" regularly. Many cleanses use tools that the body can become dependent on and thus don't encourage the body to regulate itself. Hydration, fiber and motility are the keys to regularity. In terms of motility, we need the mineral magnesium. Magnesium relaxes the body and helps to encourage normal and optimal motility. We get magnesium from whole grains and many vegetables but you may also benefit from a supplement during the cleanse.
  10. Immunity: If you are sick or if you are immune-compromised a cleanse is not for you. The body needs to harness all its energy to heal itself and that is not what a cleanse does. A cleanse stirs up toxins that are tucked in fat cells and other parts of the body to eliminate them.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

Why is my body's well-being extremely important?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Since you are inseparable from your body, its well-being is extremely relevant. Those of you who ins...
How can I practice living in the moment?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Just be, and enjoy life. Understand that who you are is not dependent on what you do, what you h...
What is the "SMART" approach to lifestyle changes?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
You now have your vision; you have laid down the law on how you will achieve them through your value...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?