What is the purpose of a colonic?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
The main argument in favor of colonics (colonic irrigation or hydrotherapy) is the concept of "autointoxication," which has been around since the ancient Egyptians. The belief is that stagnation of feces in the colon causes toxins to be absorbed through the colon lining into the bloodstream, ultimately poisoning the body. Other pro-colonic theories include the idea that hardened feces that accumulates along the lining of the colon can lead to the overgrowth of harmful bacteria and interfere with the absorption of water and nutrients. These days, many people have colonics for weight loss and for the feeling of lightness that comes from having an empty colon or as part of a detoxification regimen.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

What is effective coping?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When to take action to solve a problem is an important part of effective coping. Although we cannot ...
What are the steps to wellness?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
How to Get Well, by Paavo Airola, published in 1974 was one of the first books I read when I started...
How can I detoxify my digestive tract naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your digestive tract naturally, you need 3 ingredients: lemon juice, ginger and sea salt...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?