What is a colonic?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
Colonic irrigation, hydrotherapy or colonics refer to the practice of placing a tube into the rectum; this tube is attached to special equipment through which large amounts of water, sometimes mixed with herbs or other substances, are introduced into the colon (large intestine) for the purpose of removing waste matter.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

Why is detoxifying hard?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
After years of eating a poor diet, detoxifying your body can be both physically and psychologically ...
How can I handle feeling claustrophobic when stuck at home in the winter?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
As winter stretches on after Punxsutawney Phil was frightened by his own shadow, many can start ...
How can acceptance help me move forward in life?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
There are certain things in life we cannot change or solve. When we are faced with the death of a lo...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?