What has fueled the popularity of herbs in the West?

A distrust of the medical establishment arguably has helped fuel popularity of herbs in the West. Many people began taking charge of their health, essentially self-medicating.

In response, the medical establishment began integrating herbs into their practices, creating a hybrid of traditional and modern medicines. This kind of medicine is called Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM).

The practice of CAM is predicated upon the efficacy and safety of the herbs. But without regulation from the Federal Drug Administration, physicians are unsure of how safe or effective an herbal supplement may be.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

How can I handle feeling claustrophobic when stuck at home in the winter?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
As winter stretches on after Punxsutawney Phil was frightened by his own shadow, many can start ...
How can acceptance help me move forward in life?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
There are certain things in life we cannot change or solve. When we are faced with the death of a lo...
What is effective coping?
When to take action to solve a problem is an important part of effective coping. Although we cannot ...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?