What has fueled the popularity of herbs in the West?

A distrust of the medical establishment arguably has helped fuel popularity of herbs in the West. Many people began taking charge of their health, essentially self-medicating.

In response, the medical establishment began integrating herbs into their practices, creating a hybrid of traditional and modern medicines. This kind of medicine is called Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM).

The practice of CAM is predicated upon the efficacy and safety of the herbs. But without regulation from the Federal Drug Administration, physicians are unsure of how safe or effective an herbal supplement may be.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

How can I practice living in the moment?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Just be, and enjoy life. Understand that who you are is not dependent on what you do, what you h...
How can I detoxify my liver naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your liver naturally, eating dandelion greens can be a huge help in establishing long-te...
Why can detoxification make me feel sick?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
When you eat a diet that is based on toxic and addictive foods -- such as salt, fried foods, sna...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?