Q

Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

What is the importance of detoxifying my body?

• A , Naturopathic Medicine, answered

The concepts of internal cleansing and detoxification have been around for quite some time, but their critical role in promoting health has never been more important than it is now. We are exposed to an ever-increasing amount of toxic compounds in air, water, and food. I am amazed that there is literally no focus in conventional medicine on an individual's ability to detoxify substances as a factor determining overall health.

The body eliminates toxins either by directly neutralizing them or by excreting them in the urine or feces (and to a lesser degree from the lungs and skin). Toxins that the body is unable to eliminate build up in the tissues, typically in our fat stores. The liver, intestines, and kidneys are the primary organs of detoxification.

A rational approach to aiding the body's detoxification involves: (1) eating a diet that emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds; (2) adopting a healthy lifestyle, including exercising regularly and avoiding alcohol; (3) taking a high-potency multiple vitamin and mineral supplement; (4) ingesting enough water to produce urination at least once every two and a half to three waking hours; and (5) going on a focused internal cleansing program at least once a year.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Why is my body's well-being extremely important?