What are the benefits of healing herbs?

Plants and healing herbs have been a part of the human medical armamentarium since the dawn of time. Our ancestors who foraged for healing herbs passed the knowledge down through the ages, and years of trial and error produced some powerful remedies. Plants contain bioactive compounds that have many therapeutic uses. In fact, many active ingredients in Western medicine pharmaceuticals were first discovered in plants, following the lead of traditional medicine men and shamans of indigenous and Asian cultures.

One complaint that has found refuge in herbal medicine is the hot flashes and night sweats (vasomotor symptoms) of menopause. Hot flashes are experienced when estrogen naturally wanes during menopause or when estrogen is intentionally disabled as a part of treatment. Popular herbal remedies to temper hot flashes are black cohosh and sage tea, both thought to work on receptors that affect vasomotor symptoms.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

How can I handle feeling claustrophobic when stuck at home in the winter?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
As winter stretches on after Punxsutawney Phil was frightened by his own shadow, many can start ...
What is the best way to detoxify my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When putting your cleansing or detox diet into action, do the following: 1. Sleep: Aim to get as ...
What are some tips to help me cleanse and detoxify my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Here are some healthy tips to cleanse and detoxify your body: Organic: This tops the list because...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?