Should I get a colonic?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
When asked to comment on the practice of colonics, most physicians say: "bad idea." On the other hand, many naturopathic doctors and alternative health practitioners recommend colonics (colonic irrigation) and even offer them in their practice.

The colon doesn't need any help in eliminating waste matter when we are doing what we are supposed to be doing: Eating a high-fiber diet rich in fruits and vegetables; avoiding too much processed food, animal protein and sugar; drinking lots of water; and getting lots of vigorous exercise. Things start to go awry when we deviate too much from the plan.

I personally believe in not interfering too much with Mother Nature and therefore recommend trying to make those crucial lifestyle adjustments rather than more invasive measures. For those who are wedded to the idea of a more drastic clean out, a seasonal one- or two-day juice fast coupled with a fiber supplement can give you pretty similar results.

Ultimately, a plant-based diet, lots of water, and regular exercise will mean less reliance on health-care professionals of any kind -- conventional or alternative. The less toxic our lifestyle, the less need there is for detoxification or drugs.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

What is the "SMART" approach to lifestyle changes?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
You now have your vision; you have laid down the law on how you will achieve them through your value...
What is the health mug model of well-being?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The Health Mug model proposes that you are born with a certain capacity for health and well-bein...
How can I detoxify my digestive tract naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your digestive tract naturally, you need 3 ingredients: lemon juice, ginger and sea salt...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?