Is there a safe colon cleanser?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
I do not believe that colon cleansers are good for you.

Some people who practice alternative medicine recommend colon cleansers. They say these products can treat many disorders and prevent colon cancer. They believe that a bowel that is not working properly causes many problems, and they recommend cleansing the colon to correct them.

I have never found any scientific study to support this claim. I also have found no evidence to show that colon cleansing improves health, prevents cancer, removes "unwanted toxins" or boosts the immune system.

I believe colon cleansers can be harmful. The body carefully controls the balance of water and electrolytes (such as potassium and sodium) in the blood and tissues. Colon cleansing can disrupt this balance. That can lead to dehydration, potassium depletion and other problems.

Frequent colonic cleansings can lead to other problems, such as anemia and malnutrition. Cases of heart failure have been reported after cleansings. So have outbreaks of serious infections.

I believe colon cleansers are not good to use and are unsafe.

Harvard Medical School The Sensitive Gut

DO YOU EXPERIENCE FREQUENT STOMACHACHES OR EXCESSIVE GAS AFTER EATING? DOES EATING A SIMPLE MEAL LEAVE YOU WITH A FEELING OF HEARTBURN? DO CONSTIPATION AND DIARRHEA PLAGUE YOUR LIFE? If you answered...

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

Why is detoxifying hard?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
After years of eating a poor diet, detoxifying your body can be both physically and psychologically ...
What is effective coping?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When to take action to solve a problem is an important part of effective coping. Although we cannot ...
What is the "SMART" approach to lifestyle changes?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
You now have your vision; you have laid down the law on how you will achieve them through your value...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?