How can I handle feeling claustrophobic when stuck at home in the winter?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
As winter stretches on after Punxsutawney Phil was frightened by his own shadow, many can start to feel Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or trapped. It's no wonder so many are ready to peel off all the extra layers and escape for spring break. Dealing with snow, freezing rain, ice, school cancellations, delays, and more can become frustrating, adding complication and stressors to daily life. When you start to feel claustrophobic from being in your own home, it is time to run away, literally.

I find so much freedom in running, leaving my computer behind for at least 20 minutes and getting around on my own physical power. It is how I allow my brain to rest and renew while I engage myself physically. After being cooped up as a result of winter weather, getting active feels great!

Although I have to add some extra layers to run in the cold and the snow, I banish claustrophobia by escaping and actually being outside. Even when my car is stuck behind a wall of snow and must be shoveled out, I can find some place to run as long as the roads are plowed. I can get out and go somewhere under the power of my own two feet.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

What are the steps to wellness?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
How to Get Well, by Paavo Airola, published in 1974 was one of the first books I read when I started...
What is the health mug model of well-being?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The Health Mug model proposes that you are born with a certain capacity for health and well-bein...
Why is my body's well-being extremely important?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Since you are inseparable from your body, its well-being is extremely relevant. Those of you who ins...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?