How does a colonic work?

You may hear that celebrities get "colonics" because they seem like some sort of miracle weight-loss cure. Here's how they work: You get a tube pushed up into your lower intestines (via your back end). You're infused with a solution and you roll around to wash out your colon, then the fluid gets sucked out (you're given coffee, to help you go to the bathroom quickly).

The purpose is to cleanse out the toxins and re-boot your intestines. You'll produce a lot of waste after a colonic, but the main waste here is a waste of money. Your colon only absorbs water so there's no weight-loss benefit for colonics. In fact, you can get the same colon-cleansing and toxin-eliminating effect with a 24-hour fast.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

What can I do to alleviate physical problems?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Adopting the following measures can help alleviate physical problems:Wellness strategies such as eat...
How can I detoxify my liver naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your liver naturally, eating dandelion greens can be a huge help in establishing long-te...
What is effective coping?
When to take action to solve a problem is an important part of effective coping. Although we cannot ...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?