What guidelines should I follow when using herbal supplements?

Tod Cooperman, MD
Health Education

Consumer healthcare specialist Dr. Tod Cooperman explains the guidelines consumers should follow when using herbal supplements. Watch Dr. Cooperman's video for tips and information on nutritional supplements.

Because each herb has a different property and purpose, you need to read the label or ask a practitioner for proper dosing. It is advisable to buy herbal supplements from a reliable company and make sure they have been standardized. This means the manufacturer has performed an analytical test to measure the amount of key ingredients in the batch. Also, whole herbs that are either organic or grown in the wild have the best chances of being safe. Don’t forget that dosing is not exact with herbs, and the potency can vary.

The bottom line is that many substances labeled as “natural” can also be strong medicines. Most herbal products sold in the United States are not standardized, which means that determining the exact amounts of ingredients can be difficult or impossible. Herbal preparations can affect your response to prescribed medication or may even be toxic to the liver.

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

How can I detoxify my liver naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your liver naturally, eating dandelion greens can be a huge help in establishing long-te...
What are the steps to wellness?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
How to Get Well, by Paavo Airola, published in 1974 was one of the first books I read when I started...
How can acceptance help me move forward in life?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
There are certain things in life we cannot change or solve. When we are faced with the death of a lo...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?