Who should use Symbicort?

Symbicort (budesonide/formoterol) is used to widen the airways leading to the lungs. People who have abnormally narrow airways, such as those with asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema, benefit most from Symbicort. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema are often grouped together under the term chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

A recent warning issued by the manufacturer states that Symbicort should be used only by individuals whose disease has not been properly controlled by long-term treatment with inhaled steroids alone, or those with such severe disease that they definitely need a combination of a steroid and a long-acting beta-agonist. This warning was issued because of the increased risk of asthma-related deaths found with salmeterol, a drug that is similar to the formoterol component of Symbicort.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What are antihistamine nasal sprays?
Antihistamine nasal sprays place the antihistamine in the nasal passages and the sinuses. As an anti...
What other medications do oral antihistamines interact with?
If you are taking an opioid, antihistamines may not be good options for you. If you are taking a dr...
What should I know before taking cromolyn?
It is not known if cromolyn is safe or effective for children and adolescents under 18 years of age....