What are side effects of antihistamine nasal sprays?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Side effects may include headaches, a sensation of burning in the nose, nosebleeds, sneezing, a bitter taste in the mouth, nose and throat inflammation, and coughing. Antihistamine nasal sprays can make it dangerous to drive or to operate machinery. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Common side effects from an antihistamine nasal spray include bloody noses and a complaint of a bad taste of the spray. Some people feel that the spray also irritates the nose. It can also leave the nose feeling dry.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What should I know before taking a decongestant?
If you have an enlarged prostate, decongestants may prevent you from completely emptying your bladde...
What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What are the side effects of chronic nasal spray use?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Someone whose nose is constantly clogged because of allergic rhinitis will snort nasal sprays like N...
Does Symbicort cause tooth decay?
Dr. William M. Litaker, DDSDr. William M. Litaker, DDS
The use of Symbicort can result in tooth decay. Symbicort has a side effect of drying the mouth. Per...