What are side effects of antihistamine nasal sprays?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Side effects may include headaches, a sensation of burning in the nose, nosebleeds, sneezing, a bitter taste in the mouth, nose and throat inflammation, and coughing. Antihistamine nasal sprays can make it dangerous to drive or to operate machinery. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Common side effects from an antihistamine nasal spray include bloody noses and a complaint of a bad taste of the spray. Some people feel that the spray also irritates the nose. It can also leave the nose feeling dry.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What are antihistamine nasal sprays?
Antihistamine nasal sprays place the antihistamine in the nasal passages and the sinuses. As an anti...
How effective is cromolyn nasal spray?
Cromolyn can provide relief of nasal itching, sneezing, and runny nose, but is less effective for re...
What should I know about nasal cromolyn before taking it?
If you are breastfeeding, cromolyn nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if ...
What should I know before using an antihistamine nasal spray?
Some experts suggest that antihistamine nasal spray should not be used for year-round nasal allergy ...