What should I know before using an antihistamine nasal spray?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Some experts suggest that antihistamine nasal spray should not be used for year-round nasal allergy symptoms.

It is not known if olopatadine is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age.

Azelastine and olopatadine may not be good options for you if you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, azelastine and olopatadine may not be good options for you. It is not known if they can be passed into breast milk.

If you use an azelastine nasal spray, you should avoid alcohol. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is cromolyn nasal spray?
Cromolyn nasal spray (NasalCrom) reduces allergy symptoms by preventing cells in the air passages fr...
What other medications do oral antihistamines interact with?
If you are taking an opioid, antihistamines may not be good options for you. If you are taking a dr...
How can I explain anesthesia to a child?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children may have concerns about anesthesia before surgery. You can explain to them that there are n...
Can I overdose on Benadryl?
Yes! As with many medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter, it is possible to overdose on B...