What should I know before using an antihistamine nasal spray?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Some experts suggest that antihistamine nasal spray should not be used for year-round nasal allergy symptoms.

It is not known if olopatadine is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age.

Azelastine and olopatadine may not be good options for you if you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, azelastine and olopatadine may not be good options for you. It is not known if they can be passed into breast milk.

If you use an azelastine nasal spray, you should avoid alcohol. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What are the side effects of nasal cromolyn?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most common side effects people taking nasal cromolyn experience are irritated nasal passages (b...
Do decongestants have any side effects?
Side effects may include headaches, nausea, dizziness, nervousness, insomnia, tremor, elevated blood...
What should I know about nasal cromolyn before taking it?
If you are breastfeeding, cromolyn nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if ...