What is sodium chloride medication?

Sodium chloride, the chemical name for table salt, can be used as a medication to treat a number of things. Your body needs sodium to function properly. But if you lose too much sodium from dehydration or excessive sweating, sodium chloride is available as a treatment -- in a tablet or an injection -- to bring your levels back to normal. Sodium chloride, as an eye solution, can be used to decrease swelling and also can be used as a topical irrigant to clean wounds. Sodium chloride is also available as a nasal spray for treating nasal dryness. In some cases, sodium chloride solution may be used to dilute certain medications for injection or inhalation.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What should I know before taking a decongestant?
If you have an enlarged prostate, decongestants may prevent you from completely emptying your bladde...
Does Symbicort cause tooth decay?
Dr. William M. Litaker, DDSDr. William M. Litaker, DDS
The use of Symbicort can result in tooth decay. Symbicort has a side effect of drying the mouth. Per...
What are the side effects of chronic nasal spray use?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Someone whose nose is constantly clogged because of allergic rhinitis will snort nasal sprays like N...