What is Optivar?

Optivar - generic name azelastine hydrochloride - is a prescription eye medicine used to treat allergies.  H1 receptors bind histamines in the body and cause allergic reactions and allergy symptoms, such as itchy or watery eyes. Optivar is an antihistamine that blocks H1 receptors and other cells involved in an allergic response and reduces allergy symptoms.  

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

How can I explain anesthesia to a child?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children may have concerns about anesthesia before surgery. You can explain to them that there are n...
Can I overdose on Benadryl?
Yes! As with many medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter, it is possible to overdose on B...
Are tetrahydrozoline eye drops safe for people of all ages?
Tetrahydrozoline is considered safe. But always check with your health-care provider. Tetrahydrozoli...
Can decongestants relieve allergy symptoms?
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA VirginiaRetreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA Virginia
Over-the-counter decongestants may be helpful in treating the stuffy noses that often go along with ...