What is azelastine?

Azelastine the generic name for the prescription brand names Astelin nasal spray, Astepro nasal spray and Optivar eye drops. Azelastine in the nasal spray blocks the chemical called histamine in the body to help prevent symptoms of seasonal allergies, including sneezing, itching and runny nose. Relief from allergy symptoms should occur within a few hours.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

Are tetrahydrozoline eye drops safe for people of all ages?
Tetrahydrozoline is considered safe. But always check with your health-care provider. Tetrahydrozoli...
What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What should I know before taking oral antihistamines?
If you have seizures, an enlarged prostate (BPH), bladder neck obstruction, cardiovascular disease, ...
Does Symbicort cause tooth decay?
Dr. William M. Litaker, DDSDr. William M. Litaker, DDS
The use of Symbicort can result in tooth decay. Symbicort has a side effect of drying the mouth. Per...