What is budesonide and formoterol?

Budesonide and formoterol is the generic name for the brand name drug Symbicort. It is a combination of two medications, budesonide and formoterol, that work together to help prevent symptoms of asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Budesonide is a corticosteroid that is used to reduce inflammation in the body and help treat asthma. Formoterol is a long-acting beta-agonist that works to help airways open and relax to allow for better breathing. Budesonide and formoterol is not a fast-acting medication and should not be used during an asthma attack. Instead, it is used twice daily on a regular basis to help prevent symptoms. It is available by prescription only.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

How do decongestants interact with other medications?
If you are taking linezolid, nasal decongestants can lead to side effects and should be avoided. If...
What should I know about nasal cromolyn before taking it?
If you are breastfeeding, cromolyn nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if ...
Does Symbicort cause tooth decay?
Dr. William M. Litaker, DDSDr. William M. Litaker, DDS
The use of Symbicort can result in tooth decay. Symbicort has a side effect of drying the mouth. Per...
What should I know before taking cromolyn?
It is not known if cromolyn is safe or effective for children and adolescents under 18 years of age....