What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?

When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences not just on experience but on medical studies and pharmacodynamics as well. Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is a once-a-day medication for all doses with a half-life of about eight hours and treats symptoms for about 21 hours. It doesn’t have many side effects, but for some people, it is mildly sedating. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it's a one, whereas diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is a six.

Fexofenadine (Allegra) is a once-a-day medication (for some doses) and lasts about 16-17 hours with studies showing benefits for a full day. For kids, there are liquid forms, but they require twice-a-day dosing, which is harder to remember. It doesn’t have many side effects. It tends to have a larger pill but it’s not a horse pill. It generally doesn’t cause drowsiness and is considered nonsedating.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

Do oral antihistamines have side effects?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oral antihistamines can help relieve environmental allergies, but like all drugs, they can have side...
Do antihistamines have any side effects?
Side effects may include abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipat...
What should I know about nasal cromolyn before taking it?
If you are breastfeeding, cromolyn nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if ...
What should I know before taking cromolyn?
It is not known if cromolyn is safe or effective for children and adolescents under 18 years of age....