What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?

When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences not just on experience but on medical studies and pharmacodynamics as well. Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is a once-a-day medication for all doses with a half-life of about eight hours and treats symptoms for about 21 hours. It doesn’t have many side effects, but for some people, it is mildly sedating. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it's a one, whereas diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is a six.

Fexofenadine (Allegra) is a once-a-day medication (for some doses) and lasts about 16-17 hours with studies showing benefits for a full day. For kids, there are liquid forms, but they require twice-a-day dosing, which is harder to remember. It doesn’t have many side effects. It tends to have a larger pill but it’s not a horse pill. It generally doesn’t cause drowsiness and is considered nonsedating.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is cromolyn nasal spray?
Cromolyn nasal spray (NasalCrom) reduces allergy symptoms by preventing cells in the air passages fr...
What are the disadvantages of kids using nasal decongestants?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
A medication like oxymetazoline hydrochloride, marketed as Afrin or Neo-Synephrine -- once avail...
How effective is cromolyn nasal spray?
Cromolyn can provide relief of nasal itching, sneezing, and runny nose, but is less effective for re...
What are side effects of antihistamine nasal sprays?
Side effects may include headaches, a sensation of burning in the nose, nosebleeds, sneezing, a bitt...