What are antihistamine nasal sprays?

Antihistamine nasal sprays place the antihistamine in the nasal passages and the sinuses. As an antihistamine is generally used for allergy symptoms, the nasal spray would get the medication to the nose and sinuses without getting to the whole body like a pill would. The effects would also be limited to the nose and sinuses.

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Antihistamine nasal sprays are usually recommended for people whose main symptom is nasal congestion. Some experts consider them as a second choice after either an oral antihistamine or corticosteroid nasal spray. The two antihistamine sprays available with a prescription in the US are azelastine (Astelin, Astepro) and olopatadine (Patanase). Azelastine is also available combined with the corticosteroid fluticasone in a single spray product called Dymista.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

Is there an alternate medicine to Doxylamin and diphenhydramine?
MediGuardMediGuard
Doxylamine and diphenhydramine are both H-1 antagonists, which mean they are both antihistamines in ...
Can I overdose on Benadryl?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
You can overdose on Benadryl by not following the dosing instructions. Taking too much Benadryl can ...
What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What is a decongestant?
Decongestants are available as pills, nasal sprays, or drops. They are meant for short-term use only...