How should I take diphenhydramine?

You should take diphenhydramine exactly as directed by your doctor or as instructed on the package label. It can be taken with or without food, but should be taken with water. For treatment of insomnia, diphenhydramine should be taken 30 minutes before bed. For treatment of motion sickness, it should be taken 30 minutes before the anticipated motion. Subsequent doses should be taken before meals and at bedtime, until the motion has ended. If you are taking a liquid, make sure that you are using a measuring spoon and not a regular tablespoon.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

How can I explain anesthesia to a child?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children may have concerns about anesthesia before surgery. You can explain to them that there are n...
What should I know before using an antihistamine nasal spray?
Some experts suggest that antihistamine nasal spray should not be used for year-round nasal allergy ...
What is an antihistamine?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Antihistamines are medicines that treat mild allergic reactions. Antihistamines come in tablets and ...
What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...