How can I treat a stuffy nose or head?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Basic decongestants like pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) or home remedies such as menthol products can provide relief from a stuffy nose or head. Keep a supply of the plain old little red Sudafed pills (generic pseudoephedrine) in your medicine cabinet. Also try the old-fashioned remedy of VapoRub. A dab of that on your neck and chest goes a long way toward clearing your head. A new product to try is Sudacare Shower Soothers. They are large tablets that you pop onto the floor of your shower, then as the water hits it, you are enveloped in a steam shower of menthol that works wonders on clearing your sinuses.

Cool mist humidifiers -- with or without any menthol product added -- can make a huge difference during the winter when your house is dried out from using the heater. Don't underestimate the relief these old-fashioned remedies can provide.

Keri Peterson, MD
Internal Medicine

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Keri Peterson explains how you can treat a stuffy nose or head. Watch Dr. Peterson's video for information on health and wellness.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What medications interact with antihistamine nasal sprays?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you are taking thalidomide, orphenadrine, or an anticholinergic drug, olopatadine can lead to sid...
More Answers
What are oral antihistamines?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
The most commonly used oral antihistamines are second generation antihistamines such as loratidine (...
More Answers
Can decongestants relieve allergy symptoms?
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA VirginiaRetreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA Virginia
Over-the-counter decongestants may be helpful in treating the stuffy noses that often go along with ...
More Answers
What should I know about nasal cromolyn before taking it?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you are breastfeeding, cromolyn nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.