How can I explain anesthesia to a child?

Children may have concerns about anesthesia before surgery. You can explain to them that there are no shots and it won't hurt.

Children who have to undergo anesthesia respond best to clear explanations that include seeing the surgical area ahead of time, pretend play such as with the oxygen mask and by having any misconceptions cleared up.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
Is there an alternate medicine to Doxylamin and diphenhydramine?
MediGuardMediGuard
Doxylamine and diphenhydramine are both H-1 antagonists, which mean they are both antihistamines in ...
What are the side effects of chronic nasal spray use?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Someone whose nose is constantly clogged because of allergic rhinitis will snort nasal sprays like N...
How do antihistamines relieve allergy and sinus symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Antihistamines block histamines, which are chemicals responsible for many allergy symptoms. Antihist...