Is cromolyn ophthalmic solution safe?

Cromolyn ophthalmic solution has been studied extensively and appears to be safe for most people. In one set of studies, lab animals received doses 14 times higher than the amount of solution in a human dose and showed no signs of cancer. In other studies, babies born to lab animals treated with extremely high doses of cromolyn ophthalmic solution (200 times higher than a human dose) showed signs of defects, such as low birth weight. Animal studies do not always tell us how a drug will affect humans. But to be on the safe side, pregnant women should only use this eye solution if absolutely necessary. The same is true for women who are breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
Do antihistamines have any side effects?
Dr. Egilius L. Spierings, MDDr. Egilius L. Spierings, MD
Some antihistamines (both over-the-counter and prescription) can make you drowsy, slow your reaction...
What should I know before using an antihistamine nasal spray?
Some experts suggest that antihistamine nasal spray should not be used for year-round nasal allergy ...
What is cromolyn nasal spray?
Cromolyn nasal spray (NasalCrom) reduces allergy symptoms by preventing cells in the air passages fr...