Can I use Optivar if I am breastfeeding?

Consult your doctor about using Optivar if you are breastfeeding. Although no research has specifically tested how much medication passes into breast milk for humans, researchers have several reasons for caution. The chemical makeup of Optivar suggests that it could pass through breast milk. As an antihistamine, Optivar can also reduce prolactin levels in the body. Prolactin is an important hormone related to the production of breast milk. Because so little of the medication actually passes into the bloodstream, Optivar is most likely safe for use while breastfeeding, but you should watch for signs of side effects in your infant and for proper amounts of milk production while nursing.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

How do antihistamines relieve allergy and sinus symptoms?
Antihistamines block histamines, which are chemicals responsible for many allergy symptoms. Antihist...
How do decongestants interact with other medications?
If you are taking linezolid, nasal decongestants can lead to side effects and should be avoided. If...
What medications interact with antihistamine nasal sprays?
If you are taking thalidomide, orphenadrine, or an anticholinergic drug, olopatadine can lead to sid...
What are antihistamine nasal sprays?
Antihistamine nasal sprays place the antihistamine in the nasal passages and the sinuses. As an anti...