Can I use Optivar if I am breastfeeding?

Consult your doctor about using Optivar if you are breastfeeding. Although no research has specifically tested how much medication passes into breast milk for humans, researchers have several reasons for caution. The chemical makeup of Optivar suggests that it could pass through breast milk. As an antihistamine, Optivar can also reduce prolactin levels in the body. Prolactin is an important hormone related to the production of breast milk. Because so little of the medication actually passes into the bloodstream, Optivar is most likely safe for use while breastfeeding, but you should watch for signs of side effects in your infant and for proper amounts of milk production while nursing.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

How effective are oral antihistamines?
Most oral antihistamines must be taken every day to control symptoms. They are more effective than a...
How effective is cromolyn nasal spray?
Cromolyn can provide relief of nasal itching, sneezing, and runny nose, but is less effective for re...
What are side effects of antihistamine nasal sprays?
Side effects may include headaches, a sensation of burning in the nose, nosebleeds, sneezing, a bitt...
What are the disadvantages of kids using nasal decongestants?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
A medication like oxymetazoline hydrochloride, marketed as Afrin or Neo-Synephrine -- once avail...