Are there any risks in using Symbicort?

As with all medications, there are risks in using Symbicort (budesonide/formoterol). The most common side effects include: an irritated or runny nose, upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold or ear infection), headaches, yeast infection in the mouth (thrush), stomach upset, sinus infection and bronchitis. Serious side effects include: exacerbated narrowing of the airways, irregular or very fast heart rates, chest pain, fainting, seizures, high blood pressure, frequent and/or severe infections anywhere in the body, high blood sugar and allergic reactions.

Symbicort may also be associated with an increased risk of asthma-related death. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that this may occur with all drugs that are similar to formoterol, one of the components of Symbicort. There is currently no evidence that Symbicort itself is associated with this increased risk.

If Symbicort is used during pregnancy, there may be risk of damage to the unborn child. In research involving rats, Symbicort caused birth defects and miscarriage; however, there has been no research to show this in humans. There are no adequate studies in women for determining the infant's risk when using this medication during breastfeeding. Speak with your doctor regarding the potential benefits against the potential risks before using this medication while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What should I know before using an antihistamine nasal spray?
Some experts suggest that antihistamine nasal spray should not be used for year-round nasal allergy ...
Do oral antihistamines have side effects?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Oral antihistamines have side effects, including dry mouth and tiredness. The most commonly used sec...
What should I know about nasal cromolyn before taking it?
If you are breastfeeding, cromolyn nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if ...