How do antihistamines relieve sleeplessness?

An antihistamine is an over-the-counter drug that is generally used to treat allergies; however some of the older style antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine and dimenhydrinate, also make you very sleepy and may ease insomnia. Talk to your doctor before you take any medication for insomnia.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

Can I overdose on Benadryl?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
You can overdose on Benadryl by not following the dosing instructions. Taking too much Benadryl can ...
Is there an alternate medicine to Doxylamin and diphenhydramine?
MediGuardMediGuard
Doxylamine and diphenhydramine are both H-1 antagonists, which mean they are both antihistamines in ...
What are antihistamine nasal sprays?
Antihistamine nasal sprays place the antihistamine in the nasal passages and the sinuses. As an anti...
How can I explain anesthesia to a child?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children may have concerns about anesthesia before surgery. You can explain to them that there are n...