How do antihistamines relieve sleeplessness?

An antihistamine is an over-the-counter drug that is generally used to treat allergies; however some of the older style antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine and dimenhydrinate, also make you very sleepy and may ease insomnia. Talk to your doctor before you take any medication for insomnia.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is a decongestant?
Decongestants are available as pills, nasal sprays, or drops. They are meant for short-term use only...
What should I know before taking oral antihistamines?
Before taking oral antihistamines you should know that generally the second generation second genera...
What should I know before taking cromolyn?
It is not known if cromolyn is safe or effective for children and adolescents under 18 years of age....
What are oral antihistamines?
The most commonly used oral antihistamines are second generation antihistamines such as loratidine (...