How do antihistamines relieve itch?

Typically, an antihistamine is used to relieve itching that is caused by the release of histamines in the body in response to an allergen. Antihistamines stop histamines from attaching to cells and from causing those cells to leak irritating fluids. In this way, antihistamines help to control itch.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What should I know before taking cromolyn?
It is not known if cromolyn is safe or effective for children and adolescents under 18 years of age....
How effective are oral antihistamines?
Most oral antihistamines must be taken every day to control symptoms. They are more effective than a...
Do decongestants have any side effects?
Side effects may include headaches, nausea, dizziness, nervousness, insomnia, tremor, elevated blood...