When do symptoms of narcolepsy appear?

In most cases, symptoms first appear between the ages of 10 and 25 years, but narcolepsy can become clinically apparent at virtually any age. Many patients first experience symptoms between the ages of 35 and 45 years. A smaller number initially manifest the disorder around the ages of 50 to 55 years. Narcolepsy can also develop early in life, probably more frequently than is generally recognized. For example, three-year-old children have been diagnosed with the disorder. However, whatever the age of onset, patients find that the symptoms tend to worsen over the two to three decades after the first symptoms appear. Many older patients find that some daytime symptoms decrease in severity after age 60.
Narcoleptic symptoms, often prove more severe when the disorder develops early in life rather than during the adult years. Experts have also begun to recognize that narcolepsy sometimes contributes to certain childhood behavioral problems, such as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and must be addressed before the behavioral problem can be resolved. If left undiagnosed and untreated, narcolepsy can pose special problems for children and adolescents, interfering with their psychological, social, and cognitive development and undermining their ability to succeed at school. For some young people, feelings of low self-esteem due to poor academic performance may persist into adulthood.
This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

How does narcolepsy affect the body?
Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning ...
What can I do to help control my narcolepsy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The following are tips to help control narcolepsy:Make sure you get enough sleep at night. Eight hou...
Are there alternative treatments for narcolepsy?
Behavioral changes may help treat some of your narcolepsy symptoms without medication. Avoid smoking...
How do I manage my narcolepsy on a daily basis?
Narcolepsy may have no cure—yet—but scientists all over the world are working toward a solution....