What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?

For the evaluation of narcolepsy, it is best to start with a primary care physician who can perform an initial workup. Referrals can be made from here if the primary physician feels it is necessary to evaluate other underlying disorders such as sleep apnea or neurological conditions.

As narcolepsy is a sleep disorder, it is best treated by a neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders.

If you suspect you have narcolepsy, you may want to make an appointment with your family physician to discuss your symptoms. They will probably refer you to a sleep specialist who can help you undergo testing in a sleep clinic or lab. The sleep specialist will likely be a neurologist, but may also be a pulmonologist, otolaryngologist, or other qualified doctor.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

How common is narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
About one in 2,000 people have some form of narcolepsy. However, many people with narcolepsy do not ...
How do medications treat narcolepsy?
Once you have been diagnosed with narcolepsy, you have a better idea of what to do next to manage ...
What are the different types of narcolepsy?
There are two types of narcolepsy. Narcolepsy with cataplexy: This type of narcolepsy involves a...
What increases my risk for narcolepsy?
Often mistaken for depression, epilepsy or the side effects of medications, narcolepsy can occur in ...