What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?

If you suspect you have narcolepsy, you may want to make an appointment with your family physician to discuss your symptoms. They will probably refer you to a sleep specialist who can help you undergo testing in a sleep clinic or lab. The sleep specialist will likely be a neurologist, but may also be a pulmonologist, otolaryngologist, or other qualified doctor.

As narcolepsy is a sleep disorder, it is best treated by a neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders.

For the evaluation of narcolepsy, it is best to start with a primary care physician who can perform an initial workup. Referrals can be made from here if the primary physician feels it is necessary to evaluate other underlying disorders such as sleep apnea or neurological conditions.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What can I do to help control my narcolepsy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The following are tips to help control narcolepsy:Make sure you get enough sleep at night. Eight hou...
Does narcolepsy affect children differently than adults?
Narcolepsy can affect children as well as adults. Symptoms often begin appearing around age 10 throu...
How is narcolepsy treated?
Although there is no cure for narcolepsy, individualized treatments can help reduce symptoms, althou...
How does narcolepsy affect the body?
Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning ...