What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?

For the evaluation of narcolepsy, it is best to start with a primary care physician who can perform an initial workup. Referrals can be made from here if the primary physician feels it is necessary to evaluate other underlying disorders such as sleep apnea or neurological conditions.

As narcolepsy is a sleep disorder, it is best treated by a neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders.

If you suspect you have narcolepsy, you may want to make an appointment with your family physician to discuss your symptoms. They will probably refer you to a sleep specialist who can help you undergo testing in a sleep clinic or lab. The sleep specialist will likely be a neurologist, but may also be a pulmonologist, otolaryngologist, or other qualified doctor.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy