What increases my risk for narcolepsy?

Because the exact cause of narcolepsy is unknown, the factors that increase your risk are unclear. Narcolepsy may have a genetic component, so having people in your family suffer from it may raise your risk. Exposure to certain substances may play a part, although this has not been proven.

Often mistaken for depression, epilepsy or the side effects of medications, narcolepsy can occur in men or women at any age although its symptoms are typically first noticed in adolescence and young adulthood. There is some evidence that narcolepsy may run in families. Up to 10% of people with narcolepsy report having a close relative with the same symptoms.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

Does narcolepsy affect children differently than adults?
Narcolepsy can affect children as well as adults. Symptoms often begin appearing around age 10 throu...
What is cataplexy?
Cataplexy is characterized by sudden episodes of loss of muscle function. These can range from sligh...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with narcolepsy?
If you are caring for someone with narcolepsy, make an appointment for them to see their doctor abou...
Should I talk to my doctor about my narcolepsy symptoms?
If daytime fatigue is interfering with your life, or if you suspect you have narcolepsy, you should ...