What can I do to help control my narcolepsy?

The following are tips to help control narcolepsy:

• Make sure you get enough sleep at night. Eight hours is right for most people.
  • Have a regular time for getting to sleep and waking up and stick with it seven days a week.
  • It may be very helpful to have rest periods or brief naps during the times of day when sleepiness usually occurs.
  • Since strong emotion may provoke symptoms, learn skills for dealing with strong emotions.
  • Avoid a heavy meal before any important event since a heavy meal may provoke a sleep attack.
  • Get some exercise most days, in the morning or afternoon.
  • Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol in the late afternoon or evening.
  • Many people benefit from support groups that focus on coping skills and finding community resources.
  • If you think you may have narcolepsy, go to an accredited sleep disorder center so you can be properly diagnosed and get good treatment recommendations.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What increases my risk for narcolepsy?
Because the exact cause of narcolepsy is unknown, the factors that increase your risk are unclea...
How does narcolepsy affect the body?
Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning ...
What is narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
Narcolepsy is a lifelong sleep disorder that makes you feel overwhelmingly tired. Severe narcolepsy ...
How is narcolepsy diagnosed?
A doctor will perform a combination of tests to help determine if you have narcolepsy: In-lab ov...