What are the different types of narcolepsy?

There are two types of narcolepsy.
  • Narcolepsy with cataplexy: This type of narcolepsy involves a combination of excessive daytime sleepiness and cataplexy. Cataplexy is the sudden loss of muscle tone while you are awake. A cataplexy attack may lead to slurred speech and buckling knees. In more severe cases, it can cause complete paralysis. Strong emotions, such as joy, surprise, laughter or anger, usually trigger the cataplexy attacks.
  • Narcolepsy without cataplexy: This type of narcolepsy involves continuous excessive sleepiness but no sudden loss of muscle tone. You may take a nap for a couple of hours and wake up feeling refreshed. However, after a short time, you feel tired again.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What happens to people who have narcolepsy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Narcolepsy is a lifelong illness that can be kept in control for most people. If not treated or kept...
How does narcolepsy affect the body?
Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning ...
How is narcolepsy treated?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
Many doctors prescribe the drug modafinil (Provigil) first for narcolepsy because it is less addicti...
What can I do to help control my narcolepsy?
The following are tips to help control narcolepsy:Make sure you get enough sleep at night. Eight hou...