What are the different types of narcolepsy?

There are two types of narcolepsy.
  • Narcolepsy with cataplexy: This type of narcolepsy involves a combination of excessive daytime sleepiness and cataplexy. Cataplexy is the sudden loss of muscle tone while you are awake. A cataplexy attack may lead to slurred speech and buckling knees. In more severe cases, it can cause complete paralysis. Strong emotions, such as joy, surprise, laughter or anger, usually trigger the cataplexy attacks.
  • Narcolepsy without cataplexy: This type of narcolepsy involves continuous excessive sleepiness but no sudden loss of muscle tone. You may take a nap for a couple of hours and wake up feeling refreshed. However, after a short time, you feel tired again.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

Can diet cause narcolepsy?
People with narcolepsy often tell me they feel overly sleepy after meals. What and how much you'...
Is there a cure for narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
There is no cure for narcolepsy. However, medication and lifestyle changes can help you manage the s...
How does narcolepsy affect the body?
Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning ...
What increases my risk for narcolepsy?
Often mistaken for depression, epilepsy or the side effects of medications, narcolepsy can occur in ...