What happens to people who have narcolepsy?

Narcolepsy is a lifelong illness that can be kept in control for most people. If not treated or kept in control, it can cause danger since episodes may occur while driving, operating machines, or other risky activities. With medications and enough sleep, including naps or rest periods, many people with narcolepsy can stay awake and alert all day. Narcolepsy can also create problems with family and friends and trouble at work. As a result, it may be hard to keep a job and enjoy lasting relationships. For some people with narcolepsy there is an extra burden of dealing with people who falsely believe their symptoms are caused by laziness or lack of will power.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What are the treatment options for narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy has no cure, but treatment options are available. Your doctor may prescribe an antide...
What causes narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy is a condition characterized by sudden sleep attacks during the day. Individuals with nar...
What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?
For the evaluation of narcolepsy, it is best to start with a primary care physician who can perform ...
Can narcolepsy be prevented?
Because the exact causes of narcolepsy are unknown, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Narco...