Is narcolepsy a sleep disorder?

Narcolepsy is a potentially serious, chronic sleep disorder which causes uncontrollable fatigue during the day and sleep disturbances at night. If you have narcolepsy, you regularly feel very sleepy during the daytime, and you may even fall asleep up to several times a day. These episodes may be accompanied by muscle weakness.

Narcolepsy has no cure, but treatment options are available. Your doctor may prescribe an SSRI or other type of antidepressant to relieve many of your symptoms. Another treatment option is prescription stimulants, which may help during the day. Sodium oxybate may be recommended to help you sleep at night, stay awake during the day, and relieve serious cases of cataplexy. All of these medicines have potential side effects.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What happens to people who have narcolepsy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Narcolepsy is a lifelong illness that can be kept in control for most people. If not treated or kept...
Is narcolepsy serious?
Having narcolepsy is potentially serious. The condition itself will not harm you. But your work or...
How can I cope with narcolepsy?
If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, I'm going to ask you to make some changes. 1. Tell the peo...
How is narcolepsy treated?
Although there is no cure for narcolepsy, individualized treatments can help reduce symptoms, althou...