How does narcolepsy affect the body?

Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning at any time. You may find it hard to concentrate or remain alert enough to complete your tasks. Cataplexy, or lack of muscle tone, can also strike at any time, though this is often linked to feeling extreme happiness, sadness, or other emotion. Sleep paralysis can cause you to be unable to move or speak for a short time after awakening, which can be scary. Narcolepsy may also diminish your quality of nighttime sleep and your sex drive.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What are the treatment options for narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy has no cure, but treatment options are available. Your doctor may prescribe an antide...
Does narcolepsy affect children differently than adults?
Narcolepsy can affect children as well as adults. Symptoms often begin appearing around age 10 throu...
What can I do to help control my narcolepsy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The following are tips to help control narcolepsy:Make sure you get enough sleep at night. Eight hou...
What are the different types of narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
There are two types of narcolepsy. Narcolepsy with cataplexy: This type of narcolepsy involves a...