How do I manage my narcolepsy on a daily basis?

Narcolepsy may have no cure—yet—but scientists all over the world are working toward a solution. New sleep studies, new medications, and new case studies occur all the time. You are not alone in this. But you are in charge.

Manage your narcolepsy on a day-to-day basis using your sleep plan. If you have a bad day, simply start fresh the next day. A journal can help you become aware of any new symptoms or lifestyle solutions—it can help you stay in control as much as possible.

Stay in touch with your support group, such as the DailyStrength group online or the message board at the Narcolepsy Network. They may have new insights or information that can help.

To manage your narcolepsy on a daily basis, follow the instructions of your doctor. Take all prescription medication as directed, and contact your doctor right away if you experience any problems. Also, avoid smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, especially before bedtime. Exercise regularly (but not at night), keep a regular sleeping and waking schedule, and take naps of less than 30 minutes at the same time every day. Tell your family, friends, and coworkers about your condition so they understand your behavior. Do not drive or do other dangerous activities if your symptoms are not under control. Seek counseling or a support group if you think it will help you cope.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

Can narcolepsy be prevented?
Because the exact causes of narcolepsy are unknown, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Narco...
What increases my risk for narcolepsy?
Often mistaken for depression, epilepsy or the side effects of medications, narcolepsy can occur in ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my narcolepsy symptoms?
If daytime fatigue is interfering with your life, or if you suspect you have narcolepsy, you should ...
Are over-the-counter medicines available for narcolepsy?
Although some claim to be effective, there are no proven over-the-counter medications that can cure ...