What do I need to know about caring for someone with narcolepsy?

If you are caring for someone with narcolepsy, make an appointment for them to see their doctor about the condition. Then, ensure that they follow the instructions of their doctor. They should take all prescription medication as directed, and you should contact their doctor right away if they experience any problems. Also, encourage them to avoid smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, especially before bedtime. Try to ensure that they exercise regularly (though not at night), keep a regular sleeping and waking schedule, and take naps of less than 30 minutes at the same time every day. Tell their family, friends, and school about their condition so they understand their behavior. Make sure they do not drive or do other dangerous activities if their symptoms are not under control. Have them seek counseling or a support group if you think it will help them cope.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

How can I cope with narcolepsy?
If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, I'm going to ask you to make some changes. 1. Tell the peo...
What are the symptoms of narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
Symptoms of narcolepsy usually begin between the ages of 15 to 25, but they may start at a much youn...
What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?
If you suspect you have narcolepsy, you may want to make an appointment with your family physici...
What tests are used to diagnose narcolepsy?
It's not unusual for people suffering from narcolepsy to visit a variety of healthcare professionals...