Can diet cause narcolepsy?

People with narcolepsy often tell me they feel overly sleepy after meals. What and how much you're eating may be a contributing factor. Some doctors don't believe diet has any impact on narcolepsy symptoms, but some studies—and definitely patient stories—say otherwise. Evaluating your diet and giving it a good healthy boost certainly couldn't hurt right?

Let's give it a try.

1. Start by journaling your food for two weeks. Don't change your diet at all, but write everything down. I mean everything: food, snacks, beverages, candy.

2. Note how you feel up to 30 minutes after eating.

3. Highlight or underline all the simple carbohydrates you're eating with each meal. Simple carbs break down into glucose very easily, which may be messing with your system, or even causing you to gain weight. Examples of simple carbs are: white bread, crackers, low fiber cereals, cookies, sweets, juice, white pasta, soda, cake.

4. Replace simple carbs with complex carbs, like brown rice, multi-grain breads, oats, vegetables, beans, whole fruit, soy, yams, potatoes, yogurt, and peas.

5. Clean out your kitchen and go shopping!

6. Switch to eating high-fiber meals rich in complex carbs and lean proteins.

7. Note how you feel up to 30 minutes after eating. Do you see a difference?

What about that lean protein? Try limiting your protein to beans, fish, and poultry during the day and see how you feel. If you're inclined to eat red meat, limit the quantity to the size of a deck of cards, and eat it at dinnertime. If you're sleepy afterward—that's okay, it's bedtime. Right?

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

How does narcolepsy affect the body?
Narcolepsy can make you very tired during the day, and may cause you to fall asleep without warning ...
How do other illnesses affect narcolepsy?
Because the exact cause of narcolepsy is not known, it is unknown whether any other disease has an...
What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?
If you suspect you have narcolepsy, you may want to make an appointment with your family physici...
What is narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
Narcolepsy is a lifelong sleep disorder that makes you feel overwhelmingly tired. Severe narcolepsy ...