Are there alternative treatments for narcolepsy?

Behavioral changes may help treat some of your narcolepsy symptoms without medication. Avoid smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, especially before bedtime. Exercise regularly, but not at night. Keep a regular sleeping and waking schedule, and take naps of less than 30 minutes at the same time every day. Some people also find counseling or support groups to be helpful.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

Is narcolepsy serious?
Having narcolepsy is potentially serious. The condition itself will not harm you. But your work or...
How do I manage my narcolepsy on a daily basis?
Narcolepsy may have no cure—yet—but scientists all over the world are working toward a solution....
Is there a cure for narcolepsy?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
There is no cure for narcolepsy. However, medication and lifestyle changes can help you manage the s...
How is narcolepsy treated?
Many doctors prescribe the drug modafinil (Provigil) first for narcolepsy because it is less addicti...