Why are my toenails thick and yellow?

If your toenails look thick and yellowish, you probably have an infection called onychomycosis. These infections are usually caused by a fungus but can also be caused by yeast. Those of the fungal kind, which claim about 90 percent of toenail infections, can be transmitted by direct contact or by contact with objects such as clothing, shoes, nail clippers, nail files, shower and locker-room floors, and carpets. While they are not brought on by stress, they can stress you out due to their beauty-busting presence. People who get this in their fingernails tend to have a bigger problem than those who only have it on their feet. I understand how annoying it can be, and it’s certainly not something you want to live with forever, much less spread to other nails in you and your family. Unfortunately, topical treatments usually don’t do the job, but an antifungal prescription under your doctor’s supervision such as Sporanox, Lamisil, or Diflucan that kills the wily beasts from the inside out can help do the trick. (And wear flip-flops in those germy public showers.)

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

Should I tell my child's school about their nail disorder?
It may be helpful to tell your child's school about her nail disorder. For example, if your chil...
What are nail disorders?
Nail disorders are conditions that affect the color, size, shape, thickness, and texture of toe- or ...
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?