What are possible complications of nail disorders?

There are two main ways in which nail disorders can cause complications to your health.

First, common nail disorders, such as fungal infections or ingrown toenails, can lead to permanent damage to your nail or, in the case of ingrown nails, serious health problems such as a bone infection if they are left untreated and allowed to worsen.

Second, when a change in your nail health is a symptom of a more serious medical condition, ignoring it can lead to a worsening of your health.

Experts recommend talking to your doctor or dermatologist if you notice a change in your nails or if a nail disorder does not seem to be improving. 
Possible complications of nail disorders include losing your nail, damage or loss of your nail bed, and discoloration. Removing your nail may be necessary to treat problems that lie underneath the nail, such as warts or tumors. Nail loss is not usually permanent but can take up to a year to re-grow the nail.

When trauma to the nail has occurred, the nail plate may be damaged or lost, which can affect the way the nail grows and may cause permanent deformities in the nail's shape and texture. Lung disorders and lymphedema can cause yellow nail syndrome.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

What are some common minor nail injuries and conditions?
Common minor nail injuries and conditions include white spots caused by trauma to the nail, brit...
What can cause blood under my toenail?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Blood underneath your toenail is referred to as subungual hematoma. Subungual hematoma is caused...
How Can I Help Prevent Fungal Nail Infections?
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails