What increases my risk for nail disorders?

Your risk of nail disorders increases with age. As we age, our nails become thicker and more brittle, and more likely to have infections caused by fungus. We also are more susceptible to illness and use more medication, as we get older.

If you have a condition that affects your body's ability to absorb nutrients, process waste or balance your hormones you are at a greater risk for nail disorders. Conditions such as kidney disease, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, iron deficiencies, and cirrhosis of the liver all increase your likelihood of having a nail disorder.

Working in occupations that cause your hands or feet to be in water on a daily basis, such as dishwashers or window washers, can cause additional irritation that leaves your fingers and nails more susceptible to nail disorders. The frequent use of nail polish and nail polish remover are also thought by some to increase your risk of nail disorders because they increase the likelihood of nails to peel and break. Nail biting will heighten your risk of nail disorders because it is known to spread warts and other infection from one nail to another and create tears and breaches in the skin where infection can creep in.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

Are nail disorders serious?
Certain nail disorders can be serious, but most are easily treatable and cured after a new nail has ...
Are there supplements for healthy nails?
Supplements for nails are available in pills and drink mixes. They typically contain nutrients i...
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails
How Can I Help Prevent Fungal Nail Infections?