What can cause blood under my toenail?

Blood underneath your toenail is referred to as subungual hematoma. Subungual hematoma is caused by fluid (blood) accumulating under the nail bed in fingers and in toes due to a jamming of your finger or toe, dropping a heavy item on your finger or toe or repetitive stress to the nail itself. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

What increases my risk for nail disorders?
Your risk of nail disorders increases with age. As we age, our nails become thicker and more brittle...
What are nail disorders?
Nail disorders are conditions that affect the color, size, shape, thickness, and texture of toe- or ...
What Are Some Manicure Safety Tips?
What Are Some Manicure Safety Tips?
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails
The S.O.S. Guide for Healthy Nails