Should I tell my child's school about their nail disorder?

It may be helpful to tell your child's school about her nail disorder. For example, if your child is prone to nail infections, you may want to make teachers aware of the signs of infection, such as redness or puffiness around your child's nails. Because nail biting can cause serious infections, you might want to ask your child's teachers to help her remember not to bite her nails. 
Most nail disorders in children do not need to be reported to your child's school. You may want to share information about certain nail disorders, such as nail patella syndrome, with the school. Nail patella syndrome is a genetic disorder that is indicative of a serious underlying condition.
However, nail disorders associated with skin conditions, like trachyonychia that occurs most often in children but result in a deformity of the nail that is not usually limiting or contagious, does not need to be shared with the school. Common fungal and bacterial infections are easily treated with medication and rarely pose a health risk to other children. Talk to your doctor about whether this type of nail disorder should be reported to your child's school.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

Do healthy nails function better?
Healthy nails are less prone to infection and can protect the tissues of your hands and feet bet...
Do nail disorders affect children differently than adults?
There are no major differences in how nail disorders affect children and adults. Children are su...
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
How Can I Help Prevent Fungal Nail Infections?