Should I see a doctor if I have a black-and-blue toenail?

It depends on how much pain you are in. Bruising underneath a nail due to a crushing injury is called a subungual hematoma. If your nail is simply black and blue and you do not have much pain associated with it, then the bruise should grow out as your nail grows. If the bruise is large enough, the buildup of blood between your nail and skin may cause the nail to eventually fall off. If your pain is significant, you may want to see a doctor. The buildup of blood underneath the nail can cause pressure that results in pain. The doctor may need to relieve the pressure for you. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

Do nail disorders affect children differently than adults?
Nail disorders do not affect children nearly as often as they affect adults. Age increases your risk...
How does nail polish affect nail disorders?
Nail polish affects some nail disorders by causing the nail to be brittle and peel. The constant app...
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
How Can I Help Prevent Fungal Nail Infections?